• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

I decided to share some stuff so people who are new to Level Edit and / or modding or just didn't know about the one or other thing posted here get to know about that :3
Hopefully this will be helpful to you!
( Note that i will post Thumbnails as Pictures, you can enlarge them by clicking on them.. just so that the side wont flip around when opening becuz of all the images being loaded / displayed )

Additional How To's listed in this Topic:
( Click link to go to the given Post )

-Access to the additional Taunts of the Exodus Server
-Keys.cfg
-How to make a Serverside .mix map
-Serverside Forceteaming

== How to make Tracking Rockets ==
Well for this How to i will make an Example on a, by default present, preset.. a Sam Site. :3
Note that you can do it on other stuff too it does NOT have to be a Sam Site!

Ok first off you start your Level Editor and open your mod or create a new one, whatever you like.
Then you go to your presets tree and open the Object folder by clicking on the + icon on it's side
Posted Image

Now you open up the Vehicle folder, then the Mounted folder, then the Nod_SAM_Site folder and now you can see "M01_SAM_Site" without the "
Click on it and press the mod button below.
Posted Image

Now you will get a new window in your Level Edit, press on the Settings tab at the top of it and scroll down untill you can see
"Weapon_DefID"
Again without the "
Now in the text bar on the side of it is the used Weapon preset displayed, note it as you must find it.
In this How To it is the "Weapon_SAM_Site"
Without the " of course
Posted Image

Now, after you noted down the Weapon_DefID, you can close the new window and go back to your presets tree.
There you can close all the opened folders so you can see the main folders only again.
Like this
Posted Image
As already marked in this picture, open up the Munitions folder now :3

In your now opened Munitions folder, go and open the Weapon folder and then the Weapons_Structures, as the SAM Site Weapon preset is here.
( In case you modify something else than what i show you here in the How To, you might eventually find the weapon in another cathegory than Weapons_Structures )
Now click on Weapon_SAM_Site and click on the mod button below.
Posted Image

You will now again get a new window, go to the settings tab at the top and scroll down untill you see
PrimaryAmmoDefID
and
SecondaryAmmoDefID
On their side is the Ammo preset displayed that is being used by this Weapon. Note it as you will need to search for this one now.
For this How To it is "Ammo_SAM_Site" without the " again
Posted Image

You can now again close the new window and go back to your presets tree. There you can close your Weapon folder and open up the Ammo folder instead.
After you opened it, open Ammo_Structure_Weapons, as the Ammo preset of the Sam Site weapon is here.
( Again, if you modify something else, you might find the Ammo preset in another cathegory than Ammo_Structure_Weapons )
In Ammo_Structure_Weapons, you click on Ammo_SAM_Site and then click on the mod button below.
Posted Image

Once again you find yourself in a new window, again go to your settings tab and scroll down untill you can see
IsTracking
Check the box at it's side.
Posted Image

You have now set the weapon that uses this ammo preset to shoot tracking ammo ( tracking sam site rockets in this How To ) :Cat face:
You can now close the window and save your presets / mod package to keep changes.
Enjoy ( more How To's posted seperately )

BANANA!
Posted Image

#2 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

This one is for people who want to run a Free Dedicated Server ( FDS ) and want to force teams differently for their maps.. ( like all players on GDI on Map 1 and all players on Nod on Map 2 )
This will require you to use SSGM on your server, it is mostly installed with BRenBot.
For this How To i used the standard FDS with BRenbot 1.52 and SSGM 2.0.2

Go to your FDS directory, the place where you installed your Free Dedicated Server to.
Now open the Server folder and find SSGM.ini
Open it and find "Map Specific Configuration" without the "
Here you enter your map name, doesn't matter if .mix or .lsd, both work.
you enter it like this..
[MyMap.mix]
or for mod maps
[MyMap.lsd]

Now you make an entry below it.. like this
ForceTeam=

directly after the = you can set a number that will force all players on the specified team..
-1 = Disabled
0 = Nod
1 = GDI
2 = Neutral

Let's say you make it GDI it should look like this..
[MyMap.mix]
ForceTeam=1

Don't forget to keep space between other maps and their entries!
Save your changes and it should work now..

BANANA!
Posted Image

#3 ReKoil

ReKoil

C&C Renegade Corn Supplier

• Senior Moderators
  • 909 posts
  • Steam:
    rekoil637

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

Nice :ythumbsup: Keep 'em coming :Thumbs up:
Soldier in the war on bots.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

How to make a Serverside .mix map based on what I know:
Note that you need to have a Free Dedicated Server to make use of that, the Free Dedicated Server I recommend to use at least the Server scripts update 3.4 and SSGM 2.0.2 or better. ( for both )

In Level Edit:
You take the map of which you want to make a Serverside mod of, note that this must be a map that already exists, let's take M01.mix as example for this.

So, while modding, you have to watch the following points:
Spoiler

For the FDS/Free Dedicated Server:

In case you use a 3.4 Server with SSGM 2.0.2, you need to put your objects.ddb of the mod into the data folder of the FDS, give it a different name ending ( objects.aow for example ) also put your modded .mix file there.
Go into the svrcfg_cnc.ini and setup your map in the rotation.
Here's an example:
Spoiler

Now go back to the folder where your Server's .exe is located at and open the SSGM.ini
In your SSGM.ini, you need to define that the customized objects file is to be loaded for the map ( in this example, M01.mix )
so you go down to something like this:
Spoiler

and enter this below it:
Spoiler

Where as you enter your .mix's name there of course and the name ending of your mod's objects file.

In case you're using a TT 4.0 Server, you still put your mod's .mix and objects file into the data folder but you instead configure your tt.cfg.
For this example, it would look like something as this:
Spoiler

Note that you replace the (Tab) with tabs and no, you don't have to place the ) or ( when putting the tabs. :3
( as tabs apparently can't be used in this forums? )

That's it, hopefully it is useful to anyone who wants to make a Serverside mod or anyone who just wants to know about it. xD
In case I am wrong at some spot, please feel free to correct me. :3

BANANA!
Posted Image

#5 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Keys.cfg

Now this one has rather less to do with Ren modding but I've seen how some people couldn't use Taunts and such although they have Scripts 2.9 or higher installed.

Alot of people assume that you need the Corepatch for that but actually, no, the Scripts.dll you have already supplies your Renegade client with all what you need in order for this to work.

How to get it working?
It's very simple.

Depending on what Scripts version you are using, you have to put a file called keys.cfg either in your Renegade's data folder ( that is if you don't use Scripts 4.0 )..

..or if you are using Scripts 4.0, you put it in a folder called Client.
Now.... it depends what OS you're using as where to find that folder.

For Windows XP users it is: My Documents\Renegade\Client
For Windows 7 users it is: Documents\Renegade\Client

Here's the keys.cfg files, note that they are default and do not contain any additional bindings or whatsoever:

For non-4.0 Users:
Attached File  keys.cfg   809bytes   3 downloads

For 4.0 Users:
Attached File  keys.cfg   868bytes   30 downloads

....and that's it!

Note: Now with this file existing, you should also be able to modify your keybindings that exist in this file from within the Game under Extended Options.

BANANA!
Posted Image

#6 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Access to the additional Taunts of the Exodus Server

To be able to do those, you need to add the following entries in your keys.cfg:

Taunt10=
Taunt11=
Taunt12=
Taunt13=
Taunt14=
Taunt15=
Taunt16=

Note: If you have done that correctly, there are no keys assigned to these given Taunts yet, however, you have the options popup in your Options Menu under Extended Options where you could set the keys. Another way to assign the keys to the Taunts is to directly do that in the keys.cfg, an example of that below:

Taunt10=Keypad_0_Key
Taunt11=Keypad_Slash_Key
Taunt12=Keypad_Star_Key
Taunt13=Keypad_Minus_Key
Taunt14=Keypad_Plus_Key
Taunt15=Keypad_Period_Key
Taunt16=Keypad_Enter_Key

In that example above it would assign the Taunts to the remaining NumPad keys ( if you use the default keys.cfg keymapping, you usually have NumPad 1-9 being assigned to the 9 default Taunts, the example entries would use up the remaining NumPad buttons )

BANANA!
Posted Image

#7 Cunin

Cunin

:U

• Administrators
  • 2,612 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Great work!

Although I'm not into modding, at least now I have a good starting point if I'll ever want to start, and everyone else too :)

Thanks!

#8 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

[....]
Although I'm not into modding, at least now I have a good starting point if I'll ever want to start, and everyone else too :)
[....]

I sort of doubt that because the Tutorials/How To's posted here -in this Topic- don't actually state very much about actual C&C Renegade Modding itself, although I definitely can *attempt* to explain a couple of things about it.. but I'm bad at explaining/teaching things to other people than myself. xD

BANANA!
Posted Image

#9 Cunin

Cunin

:U

• Administrators
  • 2,612 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

lol
well at least it's better than starting from zero.
Of course it says nothing (as far as I can see) about modeling itself, but that's something that can't easily be put into a tutorial, and better to be learned alone by trial-and-error (I think learning stuff alone makes you learn more than just following some step-by-step guides, although they still can be good starting points).

#10 SarahDX

SarahDX

Hurt me plenty

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yes x. x

..but there is not even a starting point in here that is like "How to get started with actual Modding for C&C Renegade" or "How to make 3D Models for the Game C&C Renegade" and stuff, the kind of things posted here are just sort of minorities that lay somewhere in-between, the last 2 How-To posts being not even related to Modding at all. xD

Tutorials and How-To certainly can help people who just get started, just as well as people who already are/were into it but didn't know something in particular or so.

For someone who is new to Ren modding, I believe it is hard to get started because you don't know where to get the needed information from, yes, Westwood did include documentation with Level Edit that does help at some point.. but it wouldn't be enough to get started through if you'd for example want to make a Co-Op mod, so having more documentation comes in very handy other than sitting down for a couple of days trying to figure out how some stuff works without getting any or much progress.

Speaking for myself when I started.. well.. I have had enough time to invest into that.. I also had people to poke about it ( although I don't like doing that because I want to learn by myself xD ) and I also had more documentation in form of Tutorials and/or videos that are scattered all over the places, I learned the biggest slice of Ren modding by myself though, trial and error, learning by doing, etc lol :3

For me that worked out best, but my actual point being: I think having Tutorials is very good for starters instead of trying to boost off alone -- trying to figure out everything on their own fist with no additional documentation -- sure it's not impossible to get forth that way, but it's harder and takes way more time to get going.

Tutorials for Ren modding should not be taken as a step by step guide to just do 1 thing and sort of like.. going inside the left ear and out on the right one, but rather like: "This Tutorial is about how you can do *something*, learn of it and maybe you will find use of that knowledge somewhere else or maybe you can improve yourself with that, find some use of it beyond the given example of that given Tutorial". :3

..but maybe that is just how I look at Tutorials and how I would want *Ren* Tutorials to be like.. xD

BANANA!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users