• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow

Shadow

I'm too young to die

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

Ello Exodus peoples, I'm Shadow. I've been playing (off and on) AC for about five years now and Exodus TOSOK is my favorite server. (I usually play just TOSOK and OSOK). I thought that since I've been playing on the Exodus server for a while now I might as well introduce myself.

I have a few questions for you peoples:

Is Exodus just a server, or is it also a clan? I've heard some people talk about it as if it was a clan as well as a server, but I haven't seen any 'Exodus' clan members around.

How can I tell when someone is aim-botting or just really good? I've played with some people that I suspect were aim-botting, but I don't know for sure and I don't want to accuse anyone wrongly. (I've been accused of aim-botting myself because I no-scope a lot.)

How do I access the IRC chat? I've tried the link on this site, but I get a 'startup error' - "Error: Unable to load interface pixx.java.lang.Security.Exception blah blah blah". I also have an IRC program, but I don't know how to use it :).

Thanks in advance for your answers.
:)

#2 Cunin

Cunin

:U

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hi and welcome! :)

We do not actually have our own clan, because of many reasons (mainly lack of time/interest from the people that don't already belong to a clan).
Someone wanted to make one at a point, but we didn't have enough moderators interested in that.

I think the best way to catch a cheater is to spectate him, and look at the kind of kills he's getting. Aimbots usually always aim for the same body part, but that's not a rule. Save the replays if you can, so you can watch them later.
One common behavior of aimbots is to instantly turn and aim at the selected body part of the closest enemy, and then shoot. Mind you that good players can do that without aimbots, although you often would tell the difference because good players misses too :). Aimbot players can miss some shot too, even purposely in case someone's spectating.
Sometimes it's hard to catch one because there are "smart" cheaters (as smart as cheaters can be...), which only uses cheats rarely, just to grab those few points needed to get 1st, or to kill the best players.
It's not an easy job, because you often need to stop enjoying the game and start spectating people, sometimes for whole matches, until you'll be sure enough about a verdict (positive or negative). Experience counts in catching cheaters, but also some good sense is necessary, as lag is always a factor to consider when looking for cheat hints while spectating.

So, I can't tell you an exact way to catch cheaters (except for the obvious ones). There are some guidelines, like the ones I wrote above, but then it's all a matter of personal experience and good sense.

About IRC, our web applet is written in Java, which means every security suite might go crazy about it and block the applet.
Also try to update your Java (if not done already), as that will keep your Java more secure (and modern browsers requires a recent version of it anyway), then open the web irc applet and accept the installation of it. Your browser might tell you there are some unprotected objects, and if you want to block them, answer no and it should work (wait some seconds for the applet to load).

That is just for emergencies anyway, or for people that don't come on IRC often. You can find all sorts of free IRC clients around, most of which are modifications of XChat. I use mIRC because of its powerful scripting language, but it's not free and I guess you can just choose one of the many clients out there and be fine. Many people seem to like HexChat, so you may want to try that: http://hexchat.org/

I thought we had a guide somewhere here, but I can't find it.
Anyway, ALL IRC clients only needs the following data to let you connect to a server:

server address: irc.exoduscommunity.com

port (optional, but if you have troubles connecting, then use it): 6667

nickname: this should be clear enough :)

channels to join: by default, when you enter our network you'll be automatically put into the #exodus-home channel, where you can ask for help, so you don't need to set this option the first time you join the IRC network.
To join more channels, once you're connected, type this in your client:
/join #channelname

IRC is considered like a "nerd-chat" program, as it's not very accessible by everyone, but you'll soon notice how many times better than any other instant messaging network it is, and enjoy the freedom and possibilities it gives you.

Just to name one, bugboy used mIRC scripting to take the AC IRC bot's output as an input for his script, elaborate the data, and output other relevant data to 2 specific channels. He uses that script to more easily detect teamkillers, spammers, and warn channel users about possible suspicious client activity, which could mean "go in the server and check if he's cheating".

XChat-based clients usually use Python as scripting language, which isn't compatible with mIRC's own scripting language, but Python is known to be a very solid and good language, so I'm sure it can do anything mIRC scripting can do.

#3 Shadow

Shadow

I'm too young to die

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for your answer Cunin! I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a better way to catch cheaters, but I guess that's understandable with such a small game as Assault Cube is. I'll try connecting to IRC again sometime with the info you've given me.

#4 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ye it's a bit sad, but I tried many game servers (even for mainstream, commercial games) and the AC one is one of the best for me. Among the many things I like of it, the replay feature alone is like the hand of god for game servers, as that allows everyone to see with their own eyes what has happened.

Detecting some common cheating behavior is also very easy, and even more with the help of my bot, but that can be easily done even without it by parsing server logs.
Not only that. Thanks to its internal scripting language (ActionScript if I remember correctly), you can even make a bot out of an AC client, and I think Rampage has made something like that.

AC really misses a registration system, as that alone would keep a good portion of cheaters and idiots out, but thanks to the other things it offers, I think it's still in a better situation than most commercial multiplayer games, which stops being supported after a couple months of their release, no matter if they're broken and easily hackable, leaving all the customers with a game full of cheaters and broken balance.

AssaultCube is quite impressive for being a free game :)

#5 Shadow

Shadow

I'm too young to die

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

"AssaultCube is quite impressive for being a free game"

Agreed - actually, it is AssaultCube's simplicity that drew me to the game. I first tried playing Cube2, but the action was waaay too fast and the whole thing was way too colourful!

#6 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

haha, yeah I played Sauerbraten a LOT, but keeping up with its fast pace is not something you can do everyday, every moment.
AssaultCube is much better for my age XD

#7 arnyswart

arnyswart

God

• Administrators
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Cause you are so old :)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yes :(

But seriously, everyone should try to play Sauerbraten's instagib modes and report their heartbeat rate XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users