• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• Assault Cube Moderators
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Just a few suggestions for the next version...
  • A !mastermode command. Could be used just like in AC (e.g. !mastermode 1)
  • A !pm command. Could be used like "!pm name/ID text" to send an message only to that individual. Other people in IRC would see it, but it *could* still be helpful.
  • An option to be notified when a player suicides or claims admin. Just like the frag messages or something.
I might have more later, I'll edit my post if this is the case.

Thanks, PhaNtom|uRs|
Posted Image

#2 Cunin

Cunin

:U

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'll answer you one by one:

1. I don't think I ever had the need to use that, so I never even considered it, but I'll add it in the todo list as someone else can find it useful. If anyone else may find this command useful, then post here. That will probably make it go higher in the list :)

2. I always wanted that but never had the time to look at it. But anyway, pm is going to be added in the next version of AC and that'll make things MUCH easier (and quicker). So yeah, that's pretty high in the todo list, I'm just waiting for next AC to be released

3. For some reason I always forgot to add the suicide event, but that sure could be useful, so I'll surely add it in one of the next versions. The admin claiming event is also high on the todo list. I already had plans to add it and make it say the line of the pass (like the ac logs does), and even improve on that by making the bot telling who the pass belongs to, too (that will require the serverpwd.cfg file to be in a compatible format, though, just like the bot does with bans in serverblacklist.cfg, by adding a comment before the IP and using that info to tell about who did the ban and when).

So, in short, points 2 and 3 were already planned and will be added as soon as possible (time permitting), while point 1 will probably have to wait a bit more...but maybe not, we'll see. :)

#3 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

Alright, thought of a few new commands that could possible be added.

A command for all the game modes. For example, "!ctf ac_arabian" would instantly load the map ac_arabian in CTF. You get the point. This would be useful for when people vote an illegal map on your server.

Another one would be "!vote". For example, typing "!vote 1" or "!vote f1" would cause any current votes to succeed. Typing "!vote 2" or "!vote f2" would cause any current votes to fail.

Those are a few more ideas. Enjoy! ;)

PhaNtom
Posted Image

#4 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah the vote command is something bugboy keeps asking me for, so it's definitely going to be added. The other one is also a nice idea.

My main goal was to add as many things as I could for the RCON interface, although I found some problems doing it because AC's code was not made in a way to allow such additions without code modifications in various places (which I always tried to avoid).

So yeah, I hope one day AC will get its own Remote CONtrol interface, so that all these problems will be gone :)

#5 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

OK, thanks a lot! Maybe I should talk to Bukz about adding it...
Posted Image

#6 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Another idea is the !giveadmin command. This could be used if a responsible player joins your server, so you could give them admin. I would definitely use this command.

For example, "!giveadmin unarmed" would give admin to the player unarmed.

Thanks,
PhaNtom
Posted Image

#7 Lage

Lage

Hey, not too rough!

• 50 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

Well I've been looking at your ideas here, and surprisingly, I agree with Cunin on every single answer he gave. I shall express my opinion for the !giveadmin command.

Well, most of the admins we have (if not all of them) has an admin password for our servers, which can be tracked down in case they give admin to someone who is not trusted by the rest of us and this someone abuses it. Even though it's a good idea to implement this command, I don't think it should be, not only for tracking purposes but also because it's not such a big trouble to start AC up, join the server and manually give them admin.

Now about the mastermode command, I think it should be implemented yes. It's true that it's rarely used, but it sometimes come in handy should some people decide to play privately on an empty server and lack the permission to change the mastermode. Even though it won't make much difference to change the mastermode manually, it still comes in handy, especially since it shouldn't be supposed to show who changed the mastermode at all - only people from IRC would see who did it, and only a "mastermode changed to X" message should appear, and it also comes in handy if you don't want to show to everyone that you're an admin (sometimes people like hiding the fact they're actually admins, gives them a higher catch rate of griefers).

So in a nutshell, I think the give admin command is useful, but pointless given the circumstances, and the mastermode command is also useful, but it won't be used too often, so it's optional. Something else is that the vote command would be very useful, and should go up higher on the to-do list, especially for "stealthing" purposes, since you won't need to claim admin to fail a vote, therefore preserving your identity as admin.

I appreciate your effort in pointing all these suggestions to us; it's really helpful, since most of us (as far as I can tell) aren't that much creative.
Posted Image

Well there you have it, she's one of my favorite champions from League of Legends - Irelia.

#8 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

but also because it's not such a big trouble to start AC up, join the server and manually give them admin.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't a major point of ACIRC bot that it doesn't require you to visit a server manually? Just a question. I totally agree with the security factor. Personally, I would prefer to admin servers from IRC, because I usually have IRC open even during school (I'm homeschooled). Opening AC don't happen.

But anyway, I'm thinking of some more suggestions, I'll keep posting.

Thanks, PhaNtom (HellEscapee)
Posted Image

#9 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't a major point of ACIRC bot that it doesn't require you to visit a server manually?

Yes, and that's why I'll try to add such commands.

This bot is inspired by BRenBot, a similar bot made for C&C Renegade, that most communities around that game uses (us included). Most of the commands in ACIRCBot are similar or just the same, and most of the things you suggested are supported by that bot.
Its development has been going through many years, and has implemented a lot of the things that various server owners suggested the developers during the years of its development, so I'm basically just taking all that experience to another game, when it can be applied.

Seems like every server administrator has the same needs, no matter what the game is :)

#10 Lage

Lage

Hey, not too rough!

• 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 AM

(...) because I usually have IRC open even during school (I'm homeschooled). Opening AC don't happen.

Yes, that's a good point. I wrote my opinion based on how you would use the bot if you were on a PC or Laptop, therefore being able to start AC normally. But now that you mention the point that not always you can start both IRC and AC at the same time, it might be a better idea to implement both commands I mentioned yes, but with a few modifications to the give-admin command, exactly for these same tracking purposes, and with a minimum access level of +o just to be safe. So in that case, it will record the nickname of whoever issued the command, and since the minimum access level is +o, there will be less than 5% chance that a random person will issue the command, so we can be sure of whoever issued it.

(...) Seems like every server administrator has the same needs, no matter what the game is :)

Indeed, my friend. In a nutshell, every administrator needs an anti-griefing, automatic and multi-task tool for their servers, but it's never easy to find one of these, let alone "build" one of them, either from scratch or based on another tool, but you're doing quite alright on this AC-IRC bot project.
Posted Image

Well there you have it, she's one of my favorite champions from League of Legends - Irelia.

#11 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

(...) but you're doing quite alright on this AC-IRC bot project.

In fact, I would add that this is a phenomenal project. I've never been in C&C, so never seen their thing, but yours is really good. Thanks for taking the time to make this better :)

PhaNtom
Posted Image

#12 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot :)

Btw Renegade is a FPS, not a RTS (I don't know if you knew already, as the game is quite unknown). I don't really like C&C RTS games, because my idea of an RTS is quite different than that, but this is like a completely different game. Worth a shot even if you don't like C&C at all.

#13 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Another feature that could possibly added is the ability to remove bans, instead of having to do it manually.
Posted Image

#14 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

yep, that's planned too XD

I think I should save your time and post my todo list, but it's not really readable for anyone but me (because of the language I use), and some things aren't even there.

My problem with that was that I wanted to add some other things before the !unban command, like a database of all moderators activity, so that if anyone deletes it, at least there's a trace somewhere about it .

In fact I planned to add at least a couple of SQLite databases (completely managed by the bot), one for that and one for players IP/nicks/scores/kills/teamkills...so that you could query them from IRC.

#15 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

In fact I planned to add at least a couple of SQLite databases (completely managed by the bot), one for that and one for players IP/nicks/scores/kills/teamkills...so that you could query them from IRC.

That sounds like a great idea!
Posted Image

#16 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

An issue I've encountered in IRC is when you have more than one type of bot running (or even multiple ACIRC bots ftw). For example, on GameSurge, you have the ChanServ bot, which also uses the ! to show a command. This causes commands like !kick to conflict. It would be great if we could customize the prefix your bot uses for its commands. For example, so I could set it to & and type &kick instead.

Thanks, PhaNtom
Posted Image

#17 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Oh ye, that would be useful. I always thought that it was kind of dumb to have such prefixes for an IRC server, as it would need you to show the commands to everyone in a channel, but I can understand that often you're forced to use a third-party server that can have its own config and rules.

It's probably not really hard to add such feature, so I'm adding it in the todo list.

#18 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oh ye, that would be useful. I always thought that it was kind of dumb to have such prefixes for an IRC server, as it would need you to show the commands to everyone in a channel

Actually, it isn't necessary to show everybody in the channel. For example, you can "/msg ChanServ command args". Haven't tested that with your bot, so dunno if that will work, though...
Posted Image

#19 PhaNtom

PhaNtom

I'm too young to die

• 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have two more suggestions.

One feature that would be nice is adding a time argument to the !tempban command. So we could do "!tempban unarmed 5" to ban them for 5 minutes, and so on. I know you can customize the default amount in the server args, but the command would still be useful.

Lastly, it would be best to have kick/ban reasons too. For example, !kick unarmed cheater would say "PhaNtom@IRC is kicking unarmed, reason: cheater". This is merely for informational purposes, so I know the reason my admins are kicking, and the person who is getting kicked knows what they got kicked for (in case us telling them not to teamkill went over their heads >.>)
Posted Image

#20 Cunin

Cunin

• Administrators
  • 2,614 posts
  • Steam:
    Cunin

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

The tempban simply uses the server's ban command, which has a fixed amount of minutes for the ban, but as I had to copy the time calculation on my RCON code, it shouldn't be very hard to add such thing.

For the reasoning yes, I do agree, but there's no place to store the reasons and the kick/tban log yet (until I'll add those sqlite databases for them). Do you just mean forcing a reason so that you can check on IRC logs about it, or sending that reason in-game, or both?

Oh ye, that would be useful. I always thought that it was kind of dumb to have such prefixes for an IRC server, as it would need you to show the commands to everyone in a channel

Actually, it isn't necessary to show everybody in the channel. For example, you can "/msg ChanServ command args". Haven't tested that with your bot, so dunno if that will work, though...

That's true but also more complicated than just "/cs command" as you can do in our network, for example. Anyway I don't think my bot uses private msgs, or even considers them. It only looks in channel messages for commands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users