#1 ReKoil

ReKoil

C&C Renegade Corn Supplier

• Senior Moderators
  • 909 posts
  • Steam:
    rekoil637

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

this thread is just an update on what I've been working on the past weeks: multi-turret vehicles.

I'll have to say immediately that this is probably not going to happen on the exodus server unless we upgrade to the 4.1 server, and from what Sarah told me, doing so would break a bunch of stuff as well as making her maps unplayable (since the 4.1 server wouldn't have her scripts anymore).
Reason is that on my 4.0 update 1 server as well as my 4.0 server the server WILL crash when the host object (the vehicle which has the other turrets attached to it) dies. There is no way around this (unless you want a tank which is invincible except for the added turrets? ^^). On the 4.1 server i quickly did a setup with the EXACT same setup and this crash does not occur. So yea, its a problem with the 4.0 FDS.
I also tried an alternate setup with one of sarah's scripts. But this was not meant to be either. With her script the FDS/game does NOT crash if you ONLY kill the host vehicle. If you kill ANY of the attached turrets first though, it WILL crash. This script also doesnt work on 4.1 since its not in the 4.1 scripts dll and i don't have sarah's newer scripts either :3
So yea, unfortunately this will probably never happen on our server. Nor would i want it to if it would mean sacrificing Sarah's maps as well as breaking stuff on other maps. Unless perhaps we get a separate (i.e. secondary) 4.1 server which we would only use for say events :3

That being said, I put too much work in making/ trying to fix this to NOT show you the end results :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDyf3_kFVU
Soldier in the war on bots.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 ReKoil

ReKoil

• Senior Moderators
  • 909 posts
  • Steam:
    rekoil637

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Ignore what I said above +_+
I had tried pretty much everything with those scripts and was kinda annoyed and had given up.
Then 1 hour after posting i figure lets check for other scripts that do the same.... found one, tested it and it WORKED on the first try. Without crashing the server on vehicle death +_+ (i tried several dozen times killing the vehicle with c4 and the mammy etc. etc. So no, it was no 1 off fluke :3)
Multi turret guuuud +_+

you can still watch the first vid since somewhere in it the vehicle had been rigged with AI :3
in case you wanna see what that looks like ^^

#3 TNaismith

TNaismith

Nightmare

• Senior Moderators
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Woohooo! I realized you had the [MC] clan logo for that flag/texture on the vehicle early in the video, but only about midway through did I realize you had used it as the texture for the ground, I was like o_0!

And the first blooper was a great opening act lol, looks like you were having the turrets scold each other: "Bad turret! You not supposed to be attached and moving with THIS turret, stop! Shame on you! Get offa me!"

And I was laughing so hard at the 2 timed c4 misses later on.

But onto the main course: WOW, you got it working -- I remember now that St0rm's spider co-op map had multi-turrets setup, so it isn't the first time, but still, someone doing this for a vehicle in Renegade, and not as an AI boss, but as a vehicle for players to possibly use on co-op maps the way we drive around with humvees and medium tanks... this is really amazing to see in the flesh, especially now in 2014. The last time I had seen any recent, promising multi-turret vehicle stuff was from maybe 2010 or 2011.

One my thoughts after the first video, at the last 2-3 minutes, is that if the server crashes if you kill one of the turrets but not the vehicle, toggle the editor settings so the mini turrets are untargetable, and have blamo armour/invincible health. Make it so the only way players, or bots, can kill the vehicle is by hitting the actual main chunk of the vehicle that you see drive around, etc. It'd mean not having that extra realism of being able to have the individual turrets killed without blowing up the entire vehicle, but that's fine -- I think. After all any of the vehicles in Renegade where we have someone driving and another being the gunner for like the humvee/medium tank/mammoth tank/etc we're used to the idea that it's the entire vehicle that goes kaboom, not having to worry about a person's separate individual turret health.

And it seems the second video does exactly this. So I can already imagine this being functional. Although I'm not quite sure from either video -- were any of the methods that 'worked' (Even if it means the individual turrets health have to be linked to the vehicle's main health) from using 4.0 scripts, or were some (or all) of the solutions that /did/ work only from 4.1 scripts, or a mix of both?

But yea, as I said to yer on IRC, I don't believe Exodus will upgrade to 4.1 anytime in the near future either, losing Sarah's maps and breaking a lot of even the MXX maps because of what is (and has been deleted/changed/removed) in 4.1 compared to 4.0 means a heck lot of maps on the co-op server would go poof, and fixing/updating would be like trying to diffuse a bomb, except there's like 80 red wires you shouldn't touch and only 3-5 red wires that won't blow up in our faces. Unless we have the equivalent of a bomb-expert, but we don't any more, or for any of the foreseeable future at this time.

Enjoy the video though, and hope you can still test it out and make it work on your own private co-op maps/projects. If you fine-tune and polish so that it works quite well even just for your own testing, who knows, maybe you'll get enough experience to make it work better in the future using only 4.0 scripts, or maybe Exodus will upgrade someday and you'll have a polished and ready-made multi-turret vehicle system ready to roll out right away.

I really like what's happened here, despite the scripts problems and other bugs. Thank you for sharing this news with amateur modders like me. :teebeer: :grin: :drunk:

#4 andyman

andyman

Hey, not too rough!

• Renegade Moderators
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

lmao on the 2time c4's mate and multi-turrets-veh's in coop will be so cool :)

#5 ReKoil

ReKoil

• Senior Moderators
  • 909 posts
  • Steam:
    rekoil637

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

Woohooo! I realized you had the [MC] clan logo for that flag/texture on the vehicle early in the video, but only about midway through did I realize you had used it as the texture for the ground, I was like o_0!

This small map I tested the multi turret vehicle setup on is for testing only, which is why I kinda thought it would be funny to just make the entire ground covered in [MC] logos +_+
also in the very first clip with blooper, the ground wasn't textured at all yet :3

And it seems the second video does exactly this. So I can already imagine this being functional. Although I'm not quite sure from either video -- were any of the methods that 'worked' (Even if it means the individual turrets health have to be linked to the vehicle's main health) from using 4.0 scripts, or were some (or all) of the solutions that /did/ work only from 4.1 scripts, or a mix of both?

I never used 4.1 scripts. I only quickly cloned my server and crammed it with 4.1 server files to see if a 4.1 server would run these scripts. My ren is 4.0 patch 1, my (main) server that i use for testing is 4.0 patch 1. Both use an old version of Sarah's modified scripts. The only script which was from her though was one of the two that didn't work without crashing the server. The third and final script I tried is a 4.0 script, which means everyone with 4.0 should have it. And before you ask, yes, I will be doing a tut on it. I'm just gonna take a short break now :3 I worked on getting rid of the crashing server almost every free hour since Friday ^^

#6 Dethdeath

Dethdeath

• Administrators
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Really nice to see a working concept of a multi-turret vehicle. I think it's something a lot of people involved with Renegade co-op have thought about but the ability/will to create it wasn't there. So congrats on this accomplishment ;)
Posted Image

#7 dubstar

dubstar

Ultra violence

• Renegade Moderators
  • 342 posts
  • Steam:
    dubXP

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:54 PM

A multi-turret flying vehicle would be awesome, take co-op to new heights :P nice concept ReKoil
Support Officer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users